Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Draw Knife

I have the luxury of some very good second hand tools.  One of these tools came from my Grandfather's workshop via my Father's workshop.


This draw knife  came in handy when I wanted to remove bark from some of my found wood.  
soon to be a walking stick



  With the wood held in the vise I was able to quickly and easily remove the bark.  The other use for a draw knife is to do the preliminary  shaping before putting a spindle onto your lathe.

  This draw knife has been around for many years and since it is used so seldom it is still very sharp.  The end is preserved by careful(?!) wrapping in a custom sheath.
  Just because it is custom doesn't mean that it is hand stitched albino kangaroo hide.  The wooden slabs are held in place by the large hair elastics that you buy at the $ Store.  Protecting the edge of blade tools is good for them and for you.

  It is finally garden season and as much as wanting to share photos of projects, I have a garden photo to share.

ciematis in the Kids garden
  It was a long cold winter but the glory of summer is here.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment