Monday, July 28, 2014

Little projects, Big satisfaction

 It sometimes seems as though I have no real shop projects to share on my blog.  I work in my shop fairly steady but many of the jobs I do are basic carpentry not projects worthy of sharing with the Internet World.

 For example, we are doing some landscaping in the back yard so I have made a couple of raised flower beds, out of left over and found wood. The flower beds will be filled with lovely flowers and add to the pleasures we enjoy in our yard. Making the frames was a real basic saw and screw together sort of job.


 There is another project from my shop this weekend. It took longer to decide on the photograph from the net and draw the plan than it did to knock it out on the band saw. There is a hull of sorts underneath the flight deck but again hardly a major project.


 To go with the aircraft carrier I was asked to make some stealth bombers. I left one unpainted, the owner of the boat can paint one to suit himself.

  While projects like this aren't high art they definitely have their place in my workshop. Each of these things was made easier because I have the right tool to make the job easy.  I try to make the garden frames square, all the edges are sanded and shaped slightly on the kids projects and I try and do my best regardless of the nature of the project.  

  I use sanding sticks like these when working on small things like the planes. These belt sander sticks seemed like overkill, until bought one, it makes getting into cracks and corners and controlling the sandpaper much easier than anything else I've tried.

  I guess the mortal of this story is: make stuff.

cheers, Ian W





No comments:

Post a Comment